It’s fun, easy and it’s making a big difference! Oh, and it involves PANCAKES!
Every year people come together for Pancake Day to flip for a good cause. The reality is that 1 in 7 Australians are living in poverty with 1 in 6 children affected, that’s 2.9 million Australians too many. By hosting your very own Pancake Day event in February or March, you will be helping Australians living in crisis including those experiencing homelessness, domestic violence, addictions and financial hardship.
But why pancakes?
Traditionally, Shrove Tuesday is the last day to eat all the flour, eggs and dairy products in your kitchen before the start of Lent which is a time of abstinence and reflection in the 40 days before Easter. The European custom of making pancakes on Shrove Tuesday was one way to use up these ‘luxury’ items. Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Tuesday is also known as Fat Tuesday!
Who is Uniting – and what do they do?
Uniting Vic.Tas, known as Uniting, is the community services organisation of the Uniting Church in Victoria and Tasmania. We’ve been supporting Australians for over 100 years.
We’re about building capacity and confidence in children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people newly arrived in Australia. We work with people at risk of or experiencing financial crisis, homelessness, mental illness and problems with alcohol and other drugs, by empowering them with the support they need to succeed.
Our services reach to Albury-Wodonga in the north, Mallacoota in East Gippsland, the Wimmera region in the west, and across Tasmania. These include:
- Lifeline telephone counselling in Ballarat and Melbourne
- Family counselling and support services
- Early intervention and child assessment/therapy services
- Friendly visiting services to older people and people newly arrived in Australia
- Community aged care day centres and independent living units
- Family violence prevention and support
- Family resource and drop-in centres
- Tenancy/consumer and legal advice services
- Early childhood services – Preschool and childcare
- Alcohol and drug services
- Mental health support services
- Emergency relief support
- Disability services