Tips and Ideas
How to hold the perfect Pancake Day event
Step 1: Choose your date and location
Pancake Day is on Tuesday 13 February but you can hold your event any time during February and March. Great places to host your Pancake Day event include parks, schools, churches, workplaces, cafes and shopping centres, sporting clubs or even at home.
Step 2: Get creative and have fun!
- Hold a pancake tossing competition
- Hold a pancake decorating competition
- Have a pancake flipping race
- Invite a local celebrity
- Partner with a local business and ask them to match the money you raise dollar for dollar
Step 3: Recruit volunteers
Many hands make light work! Get your co-workers, church members, friends, family and your local community to help out at your event!
Step 4: Get noticed
Promote your event in your local community; a personalised media release is included in your host pack, use it to help promote your event.
Social media is also a great way to promote your event. Download social media resources here.
Step 5: Holding your event
- Prepare your pancake mix 30 minutes before you start cooking – this makes yummier pancakes!
- If you’re cooking on a BBQ use oil as butter can burn!
- We recommend selling pancakes for $3 each, it is up to you if you would like to charge more for toppings.
- You could even do a deal of $5 for two pancakes!
* Everyone holding a registered Pancake Day event to raise funds for Uniting is exempt from charging GST on the sale of pancakes.
Look the part:
- Deck out your venue with Pancake Day balloons and posters which you will receive in your host pack
- Wear your brightest yellow outfit, pop on your badge and sticker, and get flipping!
- Give a Pancake Day sticker with every pancake sold, for people to wear on their clothes/hat/bag
Let people know:
- Tell everyone you know about your Pancake Day event
- Share the details on social media
- Perhaps let the police or fire brigade know that you are holding an event. Invite them along – it would make a great photo!
Step 6: Submit the funds you raised
Complete your Funds Raised Form and send it back to us in the pre-paid envelope provided, or head donate the funds raised online. Each event will receive a unique reference code. We ask that you use this as your reference when depositing funds so we know who the deposit has come from and we can receipt you accordingly.
You can hold your event anywhere:
- Invite family and friends over for a Pancake Day breakfast or dinner
- Have a girls/guys night in
- Hold a class Pancake Day event and get students involved!
- Sell pancakes to the staff, students and parents
- Host a pancake morning tea in your office
- Challenge your boss to match the funds raised
- Instead of a sausage sizzle, have a post-training pancake fuel-up!
- Have a pancake morning tea after church
- Choose a site that has lots of people walking past
- Deliver posters to businesses